Our Record of Success
Our asset base comprises over 4,500 vehicles, with a combined value of over £3.4 billion. We have invested £3.4 billion in new rolling stock and on refurbishments of existing trains.
Milestone investments include:
- A total investment of £977 million in 583 Class 390 Pendolino high-speed tilting train vehicles for use by Virgin Trains on the West Coast Mainline between London, Birmingham and Glasgow. This includes a current order for 106 vehicles (£269 million) for delivery by December 2012
- Orders exceeding £700 million for Siemens Desiro commuter trains for the South West Trains network into London
- Two hundred and eighty diesel freight locomotives for DB Schenker (formerly English, Welsh & Scottish Railway), the UK’s largest rail freight operator, a capital investment of over £340 million
- The procurement and financing of 80 new class 350 vehicles built by Siemens for London Midland and Transpennine Express, with a capital value of £133 million. These vehicles are scheduled for delivery from early 2014 onwards.
- £33 million investment in 24 class 172 vehicles from Bombardier Transportation, operated on the London Overgroud and Chiltern Railways services. These vehicles are one of the lightest and most environmentally friendly modern diesel multiple units available, meeting the letest legislation on emissions and improving the passenger experience.
- £33 million investment in the Merseyrail fleet of electric multiple units, including refurbished interiors and improved performance from engineering modifications
- £116 million upgrade including the re-powering and refurbishment of 60 HST power cars, currently on lease to East Coast, First Great Western, Cross Country Trains and Grand Central
- £22 million investment in Chiltern Railways’ fleet, including interior re-fitting, air conditioning retrofit and reliability enhancements